Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lovest Thou Me?

'So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these?
Sure, no disciple of Christ was so visible and courageous as Peter. He was the leader of the whole lot. Others looked up to him for guidance. What he was yet to do, no one dared to do it. After the death of Christ, he led others back into the world. They abandoned their commitment to the master and left the divine assignment.
At the point of crisis we least expect, there is possibility to abandon our divine assignment. When we do, we only attest to our love for worldly callings more than serving God.
It was a priviledge to be commissioned to preach the gospel to all nations baptising them in the name of the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost but that meant nothing to a persecuted disciple.
What do you choose when you are challenged and questioned about your faith? Very recently in Nigeria, some christians were killed right inside the church where they worshiped by overzealous Islamic crusaders. They paid the supreme price. They could have renounced their faith but prefered to align with the commitment of apostle paul in Act 20:24 'But none of these things move me, neither count I my lfie dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the minstry which I have received of the Lord Jesus to testify the gospel of the grace of God'.

Our love for Christ must be total even to the point of death. We cannot determine what situation lies ahead of us as we progress in our pilgrim's journey but we can decide to love our saviour till we breathe our last breath.
The question of Christ to Peter is still directed to us today. 'Lovest thou me'?

Text: John 21:15

No comments: